Big Green Egg reviews impart much praise to this popular grill from both professional and amateur grill enthusiasts. What do people say? Find out!
It is easy to be skeptical of positive press. Journalists can be paid for a positive review whether the product warrants praise or not. The real test of a product is with the mass market.
Experts tell us that most people will only voluntarily take the time to post a product review if they have very strong feelings about that product. This is the reason many of the product reviews we see around the web are either 5 star or 1 star. There is little in between.
Big Green Egg Reviews: Product Description
The Big Green Egg is a unique shape, designed to maximize fuel efficiency and airflow inside the cooking dome. It is made of heavy ceramic and features a smooth green coating that is impervious to heat and weather.
The Egg sits on a wheeled metal frame and can be upgraded to feature a small prep surface on either side. On the side of the Egg is a stainless steel sliding door to control air entry at the bottom, and at the top is a cast iron lid with a butterfly valve to control airflow out of the Egg.
The entire dome of the Egg is hinged to allow access to the interior and the hinge mechanism locks open so the chef does not have to hold the lid up. The interior of the Egg features a stainless steel cooking grate.
Big Green Egg Reviews: What People Say
Out of 85 product reviews, the overwhelming consensus is that the Big Green Egg is a great grill. 73 out of 85 reviewers rated the BGE with 5 stars, and only one gave a 1 star rating. After reading through the positive comments, several patterns emerge. The major pros of the grill are as follows:
- The shape and ceramic construction of the BGE cooks food evenly with minimal moisture loss.
- The natural charcoal used in the grill imparts a unique flavor rivaled by few and matched by none.
- The BGE can be used with great versatility as a grill, oven, or smoker.
- Temperature in the BGE can be precisely controlled within a few degrees by adjusting the air vents.
- As a smoker, the BGE can hold a low temperature between 200 and 225 degrees F with almost no fluctuation.
- Big Green Egg, Inc. offers a lifetime warranty and will replace parts with no hassle.
- The interior of the BGE burns itself clean and requires no maintenance.
The Big Green Egg is not without its shortcomings, however:
- The grill is very heavy because of its thick ceramic construction.
- The included thermometer wears out easy and is less accurate than many others.
- The grill has a hefty price tag.
- There is a learning curve when cooking with charcoal.
The Bottom Line
The BGE offers superior taste and versatility as a grill. However, for the casual griller looking for a less expensive and easier grill, a gas grill may be the better option. Still, there is no denying that once you have eaten food from a Big Green Egg, nothing else will ever quite live up to it.
One final note: Buying a Big Green Egg online voids your warranty, so be sure to get it locally!